Monday, March 29, 2010

To a 1st grader...

Dear Little One ,

I remember when I first met you and you would barely speak to me. You never took off your coat and would look at the ground instead of at who was in front of you. You worried me, your teacher, and all the other adults who worked with you. How could a 1st grader be so down all the time? It just wasn't right.

So we grown ups talked and brainstormed and tried to figure out what the heck had happened in your little life to make you so guarded. Our overactive imaginations led us to fear the worst, but other than your sad face and defeatist attitude there was nothing to substantiate our thoughts.

Then today I sat in on your reading lesson and, Little One, you were all smiles. It was wonderful to see how clearly you enjoyed reading - even when no one is encouraging it at home. You wiggled in your chair with excitement and read as fast as your tiny hands could turn the page.

Little One, I appreciate how resilient you are and how you haven't given up on the world, even when it seems like the world could have quite easily given up on you. I am thankful that you are receptive to all the support our school is giving you and that your personality is finally starting to show (we knew it was in there somewhere!).

Thanks for showing me that sometimes all someone needs is a little extra TLC.

See you Wednesday!

Warmly,
Ms. C

1 comment: