Words cannot express how thankful I am that you are my mother. You have been the best role model a woman could ask for - you are confident, fun, funny, caring, joyful, supportive, strong, generous, passionate, accepting, positive, compassionate... I truly believe that it was through your guidance that I became the person I am today.
When I was younger, I never realized how fortunate I was to have been born to such wonderful parents. I know I complained about our healthy diet and the simple living, among other things. Now as an adult, I couldn't have asked for a better start to my life. You taught me to be aware of our impact on the environment, to care for the well being of others, to stand up for what I believe in, to be proud that I am a woman, to understand the importance of family, and to laugh and find joy in everything.
Yes, you read that correctly.
When I was 12 years old, I had my very first period and you threw a party for me. We called it "Blessing the Blossom" and invited all the women in my life to attend. Though I was embarrassed through and through, that party enabled me to take pride in being a woman. As each guest shared her personal experience, I learned to celebrate being me.
That was a gift you gave me.
As I watch all these girls around me at work, I am truly shocked at how quickly they learn to hate their own bodies. Then I realize how fortunate I am to have been given the gift of self-confidence and a positive body image at such a young age.
Mom, you are truly a wonderful mother and an even more incredible woman.
Thank you for being you.
I love you!!
Love,
Your Daughter Suz
No comments:
Post a Comment