Throughout these first 2 months of blogging, I've noticed some days I have the urge to write a posting but can't seem to recall a moment from my day that would inspire any sort of public thank you. Not that I don't appreciate the small things people do, but there definitely are times when I don't consciously notice the good deeds of others. Sad, I know. But true for many of us busy souls.
Fortunately as I walked peacefully through the rain today on my way to the Capitol Hill library, I experienced a small moment of realization. Why not "smile on" people who touched my life when I was young? After all, they helped to shape me into the young lady I am today.
Bear with me then, as I embark on a journey into my past...
Dear Katie K.,
Do you remember how we used to scrounge around our houses for spare change and then walk to the Greenwood Market and buy vegetable alphabet soup? Or how we'd run around the neighborhood playing Cops and Robbers and cutting through yards with nary a thought to the owners?
I do. In fact, almost all of my childhood memories of playing with neighbor kids involve you and our silly antics. I remember climbing trees with you, spending hours in your fort, eating fruit from our mothers' gardens, putting on shows for our families, sneaking you my broccoli when you stayed for dinner, carefully plotting out our route for garage sale weekend and hunting for treasures amongst the junk (though we often ended up with lots and lots of, well, junk). There are so many happy memories, it would take more than a blog posting to list them all.
Katie, thank you for being one of my first best friends. I can't think of a time when we ever fought or argued and that in itself speaks volumes. I appreciate that you always accepted me for me and never thought (or at least, never voiced) that my family was "weird" or embarrassing.
Though we haven't stayed in contact since your family moved away, I will always cherish your friendship.
Warmly,
Your Old Friend Suzanna
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
And don't forget the constant attempts to scare your sister with our "haunted house" in your basement. :o)
ReplyDeleteOh wow!! I totally forgot that!!! I vividly remember hiding in a suitcase...
ReplyDeleteBtw... you're probably the only person to have actually read their thank you :)
Hope you're doing well!!!!!!
sorry for the late reply, I temporarily lost your blog address. I'm doing well, married and all that (to a struggling artist no less! oy!) you? btw, kkeeney@live.com for easier conversationalisms. yes, I made that word up. HA!
ReplyDelete