Perhaps because of recent episodes of Spring cleaning and the inevitable unearthing of old photographs, lately I've found myself reminiscing of friends gone by...
Last week I decided to actually extend an invitation to an old "best friend" to catch up over glasses of wine. We met up at Poco's - a wine bar in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle - around 6:00 pm on Monday evening. After the initial, "It's great to see you! How the heck have you been?," we finally placed our orders for wine and tasty tidbits. The next 2 hours (yes 2!) were filled with "do you remember when ____" and "can you believe ____!," but more importantly we talked about our experiences of growing up. We shared stories of hardship from our middle and high school years and though we had remained friends through those times, it was astonishing to discover some of the painful moments we hadn't told one another. On the other hand, there were also many moments of warmth and understanding that only come from having shared experiences.
What I realized as I sat across the table from this person who had known me for so long is that there is something special about these early friendships. Not that you can't have deep friendships and connections with people who never knew you as a child, but there is certainly a level of understanding that comes from having observed someone blossom and grow into their adult selves.
So...
Dear A.S.,
We've known each other a long time and though we've lost contact for a few of those years, I am appreciative that we can enter back into each other's lives as if no time has passed. It's amazing how much we have changed, but at the same time how little. We may not run around in long flowered skirts or play town using such creative names as Mrs. Roast (the grocer), Mrs. Post (the postwoman), and Mrs. Brooke (the librarian - we went far out on that one!), but we can still laugh and find the fun in our antics.
A., it's difficult for me to explain to others how I came to be who I am, but you were witness to many of those formative years. Thank you for reminding me of why we were friends and of how we can clearly become friends again.
I'm truly looking forward to the many more years of renewed friendship to come.
With Land O'Lakes Hot Chocolate, tea sandwiches, and a separate plate for the crusts (because the logical thing to do is eat them too!),
Your Friend Suzanna
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment