Friday, April 23, 2010

To the little guys in my friendship group...

My job is virtually indescribable in that the list of responsibilities that come with the title are ever changing and never ending.  For instance, today I found myself waiting at a Safeway pharmacy to pick up a prescription for a student.  That was certainly not in the job description!

One of my weekly tasks is to teach social skills through group sessions aptly named Friendship Groups.  Over the course of this past school year, I've revised the way I present these lessons and engage students.  In particular, I've added a special ending to each session: a round of compliments.  Elementary aged students rarely spontaneously pay compliments to one another and I felt this was an important exercise to encourage positive interactions between students.  Also, it's pretty sweet to see the look of pride that comes over some of the kiddos because of one nice compliment!

Today, the students made me smile with their simple words of appreciation.  My thank you is to them:

Dear Friday Friendship Group,

Today you paid one another delightful and sincere compliments.

To quote you:
  • "I liked how you chewed with your mouth full."
  • "You were a good friend today and a good listener and a good friend."
  • "I liked how you didn't play with your toy and didn't distract other kids."
  • "I liked how you chewed with your mouth closed.  And you're a good friend."
  • "I liked that you raised your hand and didn't talk out."
You made your tired social worker smile and for that I am grateful.

Can't wait until next Friday!!

With side hugs and high fives and smelly stickers,
Ms. C

No comments:

Post a Comment